Tuesday

TOTEM TEDDIES - JOHN FEODOROV



"Totem Teddies was my first exploration with mixed media assemblage as an undergraduate student at Cal State Long Beach. When I first created The Totem Teddies, my goal was to reclaim the dignity and power of the bear--a common totem symbol for numerous indigenous peoples. I felt that Western consumer culture had castrated the power of the bear (as well as other spiritual/natural symbols)--transforming it into a cute cuddly and harmless commodity. I chose to present the teddies as spiritual products that, once purchased by the consumer, demanded constant appeasement and attention in order to ward off bad luck. If the consumer unwittingly offended his or her teddy, a handy spinning oracle (sold separately) could be consulted for suggestions on how to re-harmonize oneself with the offended teddy."

- John Feodorov

No comments:


;-)